Culinary Art of Kerala
Route : Kochi Periyar Kumarakom Kochi
Arrive Kochi, the queen of the Arabian Sea
Arrive in India, for your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour
- Arrive Kochi
- Welcome at airport
- Transfer to hotel
Day in Kochi
Discover the first city of your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour, pacing through Kochi, the most cosmopolitan city of Kerala
- Enjoy a sightseeing tour of Kochi, visiting the Dutch Palace, Jewish Synagogue, Fort Cochin, St. Francis Church and Chinese fishing nets.
- Meet a local family for home cooked dinner tonight. Your hosts will show you their local cooking practices and share secrets to age old grandma recipes!
Day in Kochi
Discover Kochi and learn the art of south Indian cooking on your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour.
- Enjoy a morning at leisure exploring Kochi and its local markets on your own
- Learn the culinary art of south Indian cuisine all the way from preparation to serving and eating food off banana leaves!
- Watch a spectacular Kathakali performance. Kathakali is one of the oldest theatre forms in India. It is a spectacular combination of drama, dance, music and ritual. Characters with vividly painted faces and elaborate costumes re-enact stories from the Hindu epics of Mahabharata and the Ramayana
Drive to Periyar, the spice plantaion hub of Kerala (150 Kms / 4.5 Hrs)
Enjoy a scenic drive on your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour, with a drive to Periyar
- Enjoy a scenic drive to Periyar, through the lush green countryside of Kerala.
- On arrival in Periyar, check in at your hotel and freshen up
- Visit Periyar Wildlife sanctuary, one of the finest elephant reserves of south India. Take a boat cruise on the serene Lake Periyar, spotting migratory birds and local wildlife around the lake.
Day in Periyar
Discover the spices of Periyar, on your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour
- Enjoy a morning at leisure in Periyar
- Take a walking tour of spice plantations and learn about the mystery and history of Indian spices. You also get the opportunity to shop for fragrant spices at a local market.
- Enjoy a cooking demonstration themed on spices of Kerala – learn how to match the different scents and flavours to create the perfect aroma for speciality south Indian dishes
Drive to Kumarakom, the coastal backwaters hub of Kerala (120 Kms / 4 Hrs)
Experience the serenity of your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour, with a visit to the calm coastal town of Kumarakom.
- After breakfast drive to Kumarakom, the coastal town in the backwaters of Kerala. On arrival, check-in at your hotel and freshen up.
- This afternoon visit one of Asia's largest freshwater lakes spreads across the land of green magic, Kerala. Vembanad Kayal, as it is called in the regional language, acts as a giant reservoir, a balancing tank against floods, and a major ecological resource, which has conditioned the flora, fauna and lifestyles of the people who live on its banks. Its wooded banks, chirping birds, fishermen with large palm-leaf hats, and the shallow edges where women immersed upto their necks in water searching for the shy but tasty Karimeen fish, will tempt you to explore more.
Day in Kumarakom
Experience the tranquillity of your Culinary Art of Kerala Tour, cruising along the backwaters of Kerala
- Enjoy a morning at leisure
- Today, learn about south Indian fish and seafood preparations in a cooking demonstration followed by a lovely seafood lunch
- Enjoy a sunset cruise along the backwaters, which consist of a complex network of lagoons, lakes, & canals. See life on the banks, lush green rice fields, and coconut groves with occasional temple or church as you cruise through the canals.
DEPARTURE / Kumarakom – Kochi (50 Kms / 1.5 Hrs)
Bid goodbye to India, as you reach the finale of Culinary Art of Kerala Tour
- Cruise to a family owned island farmhouse – a beautiful hidden hamlet in the backwaters of Kerala
- Enjoy a tour of fruit and vegetable plantations on the island, followed by a cooking demonstration and lunch with the owners family
- Cruise and drive to Kochi, where you have time for some last minute shopping
- Later, you will be transferred to the airport to catch your flight back home