India and Bhutan
Route : Kolkata Darjeeling Kalimpong Gangtok Phuntsoling Thimphu Punakha Paro
Arrive Kolkata, the east Indian city of joy
Arrive in India, for your India and Bhutan Tour
- Arrive Kolkata
- Welcome at airport
- Transfer to hotel
Day in Kolkata
Discover the first city of your India and Bhutan Tour, pacing through Kolkata, the cultural capital of India.
AM: Sightseeing tour of Kolkata, includes a visit to
- Victoria Memorial, a white marble structure built to commemorate the memory of Queen Victoria of England
- The Kali temple, an ancient temple dedicated to goddess Kali. The city of Kolkata, derives its name from this temple
- The famous Jain Temple
- Drive past Fort William, a colonial fort built by the British to guard the city against the French
- The Secretariat, a remnant of colonial architecture in the city.
- Visit the local markets in Kolkata where you can shop for Bengali Sarees, Murshidabad silks, handicrafts etc.
Visit Darjeeling, Queen of the Hills
Cherish the natural beauty of your India and Bhutan Tour, with a visit to Darjeeling
- Transfer to the airport for your flight to Bagdogra.
- On arrival at Bagdogra airport, drive to Darjeeling, a small hill station famous for its tea plantations and breathtaking views of the snow capped Himalayas
- Enjoy a visit to tea plantation and factory to learn about the process of tea production and processing
Day in Darjeeling
Delight yourself by the beauty of your India and Bhutan Tour, discovering Darjeeling
- Dawn excursion to the Tiger Hill to view the spectacular sunrise over the Himalayas. On a sunny day, a clear view of snow capped Mt Everest can be seen from here.
- After breakfast board the UNESCO world heritage Toy train to visit the Ghoom monastery
- Visit the Tibetan Refugee camp
- Enjoy a leisurely walk in the Botanical gardens
Drive to Kalimpong, a small scenic town famous for its beautiful monastery
Experience tranquillity on your India and Bhutan Tour, with a visit to the peaceful town of Kalimpong
- Drive to Kalimpong, the beautiful hill town which is a meeting point of the ‘three closed lands’ and was once on the trade route between Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan.
PM : Enjoy a sightseeing tour of Kalimpong which includes a visit to
- St Theresa Church
- Dela viewpoint and lake
- Kalimpong Bazaar to shop for local handicrafts
Drive to Gangtok, the capital city of Sikkim
Proceed to the fourth treasure of your India and Bhutan Tour, visiting Gangtok, the capital city of the state of Sikkim.
- Drive to Gangtok, the picturesque capital city of Sikkim.
- Visit the Enchey monastery, which has a good collection of exquisite images and religious objects
Day in Gangtok
Discover the charm of Gangtok on your India and Bhutan Tour
AM: Enjoy a short city tour of Gangtok, which includes a visit to
- The cottage industry institute, which showcases local handicrafts, souvenirs etc
- Research Institute of Tibetology, which has a vast collection of rare Buddhist manuscripts and icons
- The stupa, Do Dru La Chorten
- Visit to the Rumtek monastery.
- From here, you can enjoy spectacular view of the snow covered Mt Kanchenjunga
Drive to Phuntsoling, the border town between India and Bhutan
Continue your India and Bhutan Tour by driving to Phuntsoling, the border town of Bhutan displaying a fascinating mixture of Indian and Bhutanese traditions, a perfect example of mingling of people and their cultures
- Drive to Phuntsholing, a thriving commercial centre on the northern edge of Indian plains
- On arrival check-in at hotel and freshen up
- Visit the Zangtho Pelri Lhakhang, the temple representing heaven of Guru Rinpoche
Drive to Thimpu, the capital of Bhutan
Your India and Bhutan Tour takes you to Thimpu, the capital city of Bhutan
- Drive to Thimpu, the largest city and administrative head office of Bhutan.
- Enroute visit Kharbandi Goemba, the beautiful monastery built by the Royal Grand Mother.
- Also visit the Simotkha Dzong, the oldest fortress in the kingdom which now houses the school of Buddhist studies
- On arrival in Thimpu check in at hotel for overnight stay.
Day in Thimpu
Encounter the magnificence of your India and Bhutan Tour, visiting the spectacular sights of Thimpu
AM: Discover Thimpu by visiting
- The National Memorial Chorten, built by the third king of Bhutan as a monument to world peace and prosperity. The paintings and statues inside the monument provide a deep insight into Buddhist philosophy.
- The textile and Folk Heritage museum
- The National Library, which holds a vast collection of ancient Buddhist texts and manuscripts
- Visit Trashichhodzong. This impressive fortress/monastery houses secretariat building, the throne room of His Majesty and various government offices. It is also the summer residence of Chief Abbot and central monk body.
- Visit the Handicrafts Emporium which displays a wide range of beautifully hand-woven textiles and craft products. It also carries a small collection of books on Bhutan, Buddhism and Himalayan culture.
Drive to Punakha, the erstwhile winter capital of Bhutan.
Embark on thrilling mountainous trails of your India and Bhutan Tour, with a drive to Punakha, the ancient capital of Bhutan
- Early this morning, embark on your drive to Punakha, across Dochula Pass that heralds the most enchanting views of the Himalayas.
- Stop briefly at the Dochula Pass to admire the views, the Chorten, Mani wall, and prayer flags which decorate the highest point on the road.
- On arrival, check-in at hotel and freshen up
- Visit the Punakha Dzong, the winter home of the clergy. The Punakha Dzong is the second dzong to be built in Bhutan and was the seat of government when Punakha was the capital of Bhutan. The dzong’s central tower, the utse, is six storeys high. The history of Punakha Dzong is characterised by damage from numerous fires, floods and earthquakes
- Later visit the Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten, one of the three Chortens constructed in 1992 to remove negative forces and promote peace, stability and harmony in the changing world
- Afternoon visit Wangduephodrang Dzong, sitting on top of the hill at the confluence of Punakha Chhu and Tang Chhu rivers, Wangduephodrang Dzong is the town’s most visible features. The Dzong is open for visitors during Wangduephodrang Tshechu celebrated in autumn
Drive to Paro, the historic city of Bhutan
Experience the charm of your India and Bhutan Tour, pacing through Paro, the beautiful valley which encapsulates within itself a rich culture, scenic beauty and hundred of myths and legends
- Drive to Paro. On arrival, check in at your hotel and freshen up
- Visit the Paro Zong which is also known as Rinpung Dzong meaning “fortress that sits on a heap of jewels”. The dzong located above Paro is a fine example of Bhutanese architecture.
- Explore the National Museum housed in The Paro Dzong.
- Enjoy evening tea at a local farmhouse.
Day in Paro
Discover Paro on your India and Bhutan Tour
- Enjoy an excursion to Taktsang monastery, popularly called the Tiger’s Nest monastery. It is said that Guru Rinpoche arrived here on the back of a tigress and meditated at this monastery and hence it is called ‘Tiger’s Nest’. Taktshang is one of the most popular spiritual heritage sites, perched precariously on the rock face of a sheer cliff 2950m above the ground.
- Enroute stop for lunch at a local cafeteria run by the monks.
- Visit the Drukgyel Dzong. This Dzong, with a delightful village nestling at its foot, was built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to commemorate Bhutan’s victory over the Tibetan invaders. On a clear day, one can see the commanding view of Mount. Chomolhari from the village, below the Dzong.
- Evening visit Kyushu Lakhang, one of the oldest and most sacred shrines of Bhutan
Bid goodbye to Bhutan, as you reach the finale of your India and Bhutan Tour
- This morning, you will be transferred to the airport to catch your flight back home