Best of Srilanka
Route : Colombo Habarana Kandy Colombo
Arrive Colombo, the commercial capital of Srilanka
Arrive in Srilanka , for your Best of Srilanka Tour PM :
- Arrive Colombo
- Welcome at airport
- Transfer to hotel
Day in Colombo
Discover the first city of your Best of Srilanka Tour, pacing through Colombo, a vibrant and bustling city with a mix of modern lifestyle and colonial culture.
AM: Sightseeing tour of Colombo, includes a visit to
- The Fort area, the busy city centre of Colombo built by the Portuguese in the 16th century
- The busy market and bazaars of Pettah or the “outer fort”.
- A Hindu and a Buddhist temple
- A Dutch Church
- Drive past the Town Hall, the Independence Square and B.M.I.C.H (International Convention Centre).
- Enjoy evening at leisure.
Drive to Habarana, a popular tourist resort in Srilanka
Continue to the second highlight of your Best of Srilanka Tour, discovering Habarana, a small city famed for its world class tourist resorts. This is also the base for the Jungle safari tours to the nearby Habarana jungles and the Minnerva Sanctuary.
- Drive to Habarana.
- Enroute visit the Elephant Orphanage at Pinnawela. This Orphanage was set up in 1975 by the Wildlife department of Srilanka to rescue and rehabilitate elephants orphanaged by the poachers. This 24 acres large elephant orphanage is also a breeding place for elephants, and has the greatest herd of elephants in captivity in the world.
- Continue drive to Habarana
- On arrival, check-in at hotel for overnight stay
Excursion to Anuradhapura, a UNESCO world heritage site in Srilanka
Enjoy the epitome of your Best of Srilanka Tour, with a visit to Anuradhapura, an ancient city of Srilanka known for its well preserved ruins of Sinhalese civilization
- Drive to Anuradhapura, a UNESCO world heritage site, home to the largest number of monuments of the ancient Sinhalese civilization
- Visit the ruins of ancient royal palaces, shrines, dagobas and monastic building in Anuradhapura. The ruins of the monastic buildings are to be found in every direction in the shape of raised stone platforms, foundations and stone pillars
- Later visit the “Bodhi Tree”, grown from a branch of the Mahabodhi Tree at BodhGaya, the tree under which Lord Buddha attained enlightenment.
- Return to Habarana for overnight stay.
Drive to Sigirya, an ancient rock fortress in Srilanka
Continue your Best of Srilanka Tour, with a visit to Sigirya, a popular tourist destination famous for its Rock fort and ancient frescoes
- Drive to Sigirya, a UNESCO world heritage site also known for its ancient paintings or frescoes
- Visit the Sigirya Rock, the lion rock surrounded by the remains of an extensive network of gardens, reservoirs, and other structures. The Lion Rock is a citadel of unusual beauty, rising 200m from the scrub jungles.
- See the world famous frescoes of the ‘Heavenly maidens’ of Sigiriya in a sheltered pocket of the rock. On the western and northern sides of the steep rock, runs a gallery. Shielding this gallery is a 91/2 ft. plaster wall also known as the Mirror Wall in which one can see one's reflection.
Excursion to Polonnaruwa
Cherish the splendour of your Best of Srilanka Tour, with a tour to Polonnaruwa, the medieval capital of Srilanka
- Drive to Polonnaruwa.
- Visit the well preserved ruins of the ancient palaces, halls, viharas, royal pavilions sculptures, beautiful parks and water reservoirs
- Drive back to Sigirya.
- Evening is at leisure.
Drive to Kandy, the cultural capital of Srilanka
Proceed to the cultural hub of your Best of Srilanka Tour, visiting Kandy, the cultural capital of Srilanka and one of the most scenic cities of Srilanka.
- Drive to Kandy.
- Enroute visit the rock cave temple of Dambulla. Dambulla, a part of the Cultural Triangle declared by UNESCO is the most impressive of Sri Lanka's cave temples. The Cave contains over 150 images of Buddha including a colossal figure of Buddha spanning 14 metres.
- Also stop at Matale to visit the spice gardens and a batik factory.
- Continue drive to Kandy.
- On arrival check-in at hotel for overnight stay.
Day in Kandy
Discover the cultural splendours of your Best of Srilanka Tour, with a tour of Kandy, the cultural capital of Srilanka
AM: Sightseeing tour of Kandy, includes a visit to
- The Temple of Tooth, where the sacred relic of tooth of Lord Buddha is enshrined. This is the most important Buddhist temple in Srilanka.
- The Royal Palace, housing the National Museum of Kandy which contains artefacts from the ancient Kandy kingdom and British colonial rule
- Drive along the upper lake to enjoy a panoramic view of the lake and the surrounding area.
- Explore the beautiful markets of Kandy.
- Enjoy a cultural show in the evening
Drive to Colombo Airport DEPARTURE
Bid goodbye to Srilanka, as you reach the finale of your Best of Srilanka Tour
- Drive to Colombo International Airport, to catch your flight back home