Coastal South India
Route : Chennai Mahabalipuram Thanjavur Madurai Periyar Kovalam Kumarakom Kochi
Arrive in India, for your Coastal South India Tour
- Arrive Chennai
- Welcome at airport
- Transfer to hotel
Day in Chennai
Discover the first city of your Coastal South India Tour, pacing through Chennai, the fourth largest city of India, also referred to as The Detroit of India because of its major share in India’s automobile export
AM: Enjoy a city sightseeing tour, visiting
- Fort St George, the first bastion of British power in India. This fort is now used by the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly and the secretariat office.
- St Mary’s Church, the oldest surviving British Church in India
- The Theosophical Society of India
- Visit Marina beach, the longest beach in India
- Enjoy evening at leisure
Chennai to Mahabalipuram via Kanchipuram (140 Kms /4 Hrs)
Proceed to the cultural hub of your Coastal South India Tour, visiting Kancheepuram and Mahabalipuram, a UNESCO world heritage site famous for its rock cut architecture.
- Embark on your early morning drive to Kancheepuram, the city famous for its numerous temples and hand woven silk sarees. The Kancheepuram silk sarees are exotic pieces of art, woven from pure mulberry silk and decorated with fine gold thread (zari). A short stop at Kancheepuram also includes a visit to silk weavers to see the silk weaving process
- Drive to Mahabalipuram. On arrival, check-in at hotel and freshen up
- Visit the Shore Temple, one of the oldest temples of South India.
- Also visit Arjuna Penance, the world’s largest rock bas relief
- See the Five Rathas, a series of five monolithic pyramidical structure named after the five Pandava brothers
Drive to Pondicherry, the French Riviera of the East (100 kms / 02 Hours)
Relax at the leisurely pace of your Coastal South India Tour, with a visit to Pondicherry, a former French colony which still retains its French charm
- Drive to Pondicherry, the living epitome of French culture in India.
- Arrive Pondicherry, check-in at hotel and freshen up.
- Rest of the day is at leisure to discover this former settlement on your own.
Day in Pondicherry
Experience the tranquillity of your Coastal South India Tour, discovering the city of Pondicherry.
- Visit Auroville, a unique experiment in human unity and international living
- Afternoon at leisure to enjoy the quiet beaches of Pondicherry
to Tanjore, home to the Brihadeshwara temple and Tanjore Paintings (175 Kms / 4
Continue to the cultural splendours of your Coastal South India Tour, with a visit to Tanjore, a UNESCO world heritage site in south India
- Drive to Tanjore, a city famous for its temple architecture and the world famous Tanjore paintings
- Enroute visit the beautiful Chola temples at Darasuram and Gangaikondacholapuram.
- Arrive Tanjore and check-in at hotel
- Enjoy an evening at leisure
Day in Tanjore
Encounter the historic marvel of your Coastal South India Tour, discovering the Great Chola temple at Tanjore and visiting the temple town of Trichy
- Visit the Brihadeshwara temple, the worlds first complete granite structure. Brihadeshwara temple is among the most prized possession of India and an outstanding example of the architectural heights reached during the Chola period. This temple has the tallest (Vimana) tower in the world.
- Visit the Thanjavur Palace, known for its huge corridors, spacious halls, observation and arsenal towers
- Take an excursion to Trichy, a thriving commercial city of South India known for its famous Rock Fort and beautiful temples.
to Madurai, the temple city of India (210 Kms / 5 hrs)
Discover heritage in your Coastal South India Tour, by visiting Madurai, home to the famous Meenakshi temple
- Drive to Madurai.
- Arrive Madurai, check-in at hotel and freshen up.
PM: Discover Madurai by visiting
- The Gandhi Museum, displaying the original blood stained garments of Mahatma Gandhi when he was assassinated
- The Triumalai Nayak Palace, known for its rectangular dance floor.
- Meenakshi temple, a beautiful Dravidian style temple dedicated to goddess Parvati, the consort of Lord Shiva. At evening, witness the splendid aarti ceremony performed in the temple
to Periyar, the spice plantaion hub of Kerala (165 Kms / 4
Enjoy a scenic drive on your Coastal South India Tour, with a drive to Periyar
- Enjoy a scenic drive to Periyar.
- On arrival in Periyar, check in at your hotel and freshen up
- Enjoy a spice plantation tour and learn about the mystery and history of Indian spices. You also get the opportunity to shop for fragrant spices at a local market.
- This evening, visit the Periyar Wildlife sanctuary, one of the finest elephant reserves of south India. Take a boat cruise on the serene Lake Periyar, spotting migratory birds and local wildlife around the lake.
to the beach paradise of Kovalam (210 Kms / 6 Hrs)
Experience the epitome of your Coastal South India Tour, discovering the serene beaches of Kovalam
- Drive to Kovalam, one of the most serene and beautiful beaches of south India.
- Enjoy the evening at leisure, pampering yourself with the various Ayurveda and Spa treatments offered by your resort in Kovalam.
Relax and rejuvenate in Kovalam
Experience the rejuvenation marvels of your Coastal South India Tour, relaxing in Kovalam
AM & PM:
- The beautiful beaches of Kovalam are still far from being commercialized or packed with tourists. Today, enjoy a day at leisure to relax and unwind by the tranquil beaches of Kovalam or enjoy the various facilities offered by your hotel
to Alleppey (170 Kms / 4.5 Hrs)
Experience the tranquillity of your Coastal South India Tour, with a houseboat cruise along the backwaters of Kerala
- Drive to Thothapally to board your houseboat to cruise through the backwaters of Kerala.
- Kerala backwaters consist of a complex network of lagoons, lakes, & canals and are best experienced while slowly rowing down the labyrinth of canals in a traditional thatch-roofed houseboat, known as 'Kettuvallam'. See life on the banks, lush green rice fields, and coconut groves with occasional temple or church as you cruise through the canals. Enjoy the special Kerala style meals prepared by your chef on board. Overnight stay at houseboat.
Discover Kumarakom, the coastal backwaters hub of Kerala
Experience the serenity of your Coastal South India Tour, with a visit to the calm coastal town of Kumarakom.
- After breakfast alight your houseboat at Kumarakom, the coastal town in the backwaters of Kerala. Proceed to your hotel for check-in.
- This afternoon visit one of Asia's largest freshwater lakes spreads across the land of green magic, Kerala. Vembanad Kayal, as it is called in the regional language, acts as a giant reservoir, a balancing tank against floods, and a major ecological resource, which has conditioned the flora, fauna and lifestyles of the people who live on its banks. Its wooded banks, chirping birds, fishermen with large palm-leaf hats, and the shallow edges where women immersed upto their necks in water searching for the shy but tasty Karimeen fish, will tempt you to explore more. The boats that ply, on the Vembanad vary from the large stitched-hull, cargo carriers with domed mat-roofs to houseboats.
to Kochi, queen of the Arabian Sea (55 Kms / 1.5 Hrs)
Discover Kochi, the most cosmopolitan city of Kerala, a highlight of your Coastal South India Tour
- Embark on a short drive to Kochi, the commercial capital and the most cosmopolitan city of Kerala.
- On arrival in Kochi, check-in at your hotel and enjoy an afternoon at leisure.
- Watch a spectacular Kathakali performance. Kathakali is one of the oldest theatre forms in India. It is a spectacular combination of drama, dance, music and ritual. Characters with vividly painted faces and elaborate costumes re-enact stories from the Hindu epics of Mahabharata and the Ramayana
Big goodbye to India, as you reach the finale of your Coastal South India Tour
- Enjoy a sightseeing tour of Kochi, visiting the Dutch Palace, Jewish Synagogue, Fort Cochin, St. Francis Church and Chinese fishing nets.
- Enjoy last minute shopping in Kochi
- This evening, you will be transferred to Kochi airport to catch your flight back home